Sunday, May 8, 2011

Cry Me A River....

It's been a tough weekend for me.

I'm not just a Driver.
I mean, I am but I'm also a human being here...

What I mean is that the humanity around me affects me as much as the next guy.
It's just my job not to let it and to continue to be safe and expedient.

This weekend I had far more than a "normal" amount of women expressing their frustrations with men.


One pretty kiddo gets on and begins to tell us about her loser of a boyfriend.
How she tried calling but he was busy, or asleep or just going to spend the day relaxing.
How she just wanted a boyfriend who wanted to have her around.
Somebody she could take care of and hang out with...etc.

Another got on and told us how she had a date from hell.
How all he wanted was to hook up and from the beginning of "the date" she expressed that she had no plans of that on the first date, her "date" proceeded to flirt around the room and party with other women until he eventually left with somebody else!

And yet another pretty girl got on, looking like she was going to kick everybody's tail!
After a few minutes, she started yelling.
I realized she had answered her phone and it was obviously the bad guy.

From what I gathered, he'd said something stupid, walked away and never looked back.
She was telling how much he hurt her, how much he....

Yada yada yada...
You get the point.

And I'm sitting there, driving, trying to focus on the road.
But I'm alone in my thoughts while I'm driving.
I'm wanting to pull the bus over and give these Ladies a hug.
To offer my arm for a punch in order to vent a little anger at these jerks in their lives.
To offer my condolences, my advice, my prayers...

I have entire conversations with these women...in my head...as they ride the bus, crying.
I can't say a word.
It's not my place, it may be misconstrued, misunderstood, unwanted, etc etc etc.
It's not my job.
I'm concerned but not allowed to be.

So I drive.
I say a few prayers for y'all in my head.
I'm crying with you on the inside.
I feel for you and have on many occasions kicked those jerk's butts for you.
I'm apologizing to you for all of us men on the planet, all of us who are jerks.
But it's all on the inside.

On the outside, I call stops, I announce the Stations and I stay on time.
On the outside I am a bus Driver, I'm a professional who is working and focusing on my work.

On the inside I'm crying a river...
On the inside I'm a Driver who cares but on the outside, I'm just your Driver.

As Always, "Welcome aboard, grab a kleenex, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment