Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Get Knocked Down...

But I Get Up Again...

I really can't wait for this new Smart Card to go live.

I Drive some extremely busy routes.
The only "busy" route I haven't gotten the chance to do on a regular basis is the 15 and I'm dying for that option to come to Platte so I can sign up!

That said...

These busy routes have a larger number of fare evaders.
Not a higher percentage mind you, just a larger pool.

When somebody doesn't pay the correct fare, it's my job to repeat the talk track:
"The correct Fare is "$X" and I'm not authorized to provide free rides."
I sometimes throw in the "We need to continue on the route, it's your choice whether to ride or not?"
Folks will stare at me, waiting for my "acceptance" of their partial fares or for some type of permission for them to not pay the correct fare so they can say, "The Driver said it was ok...."
I can't give it to you.

When you thank me after boarding without paying full fare, I feel like adding, "Please don't thank me, I'm not an accomplice to you breaking the law!"

The reason for the talk track is because every once in a while there is a Fare Inspector behind us who waits to see what choice the passengers will make, whether to board without having paid the correct fare.

With all these cut backs this year, we're seeing less and less fare enforcement.
It's left us Drivers feeling hung out to dry.

Me, I have almost given up on the talk track.
I start it these days but the passengers have already all heard it, and they know there's nobody to enforce it so fewer and fewer evaders care.
They don't even put in the effort anymore to come up with some type of excuse or to even put in 13 cents then ask for a transfer.

These days they just ignore me and hop on the bus.

I'm crying Wolf and they know it.


Drivers are instructed to hit the "fare" button on our radios and to record the incorrect fare on our fare boxes.
We even fill out "incident reports" but after all the reports I've completed, I've yet to see any results or enforcement outside of a couple of random inspections this vote.

When y'all ask why the Fares are being raised (soon) I'm going to be pointing at the other passengers around you and explaining that they are stealing from your pockets.

In the meantime, I'm getting knocked out behind this fare box and I'm starting to struggle with getting back up.
My light at the end of the tunnel is these new Smart Cards that will eliminate 90% of this evasion.

As Always, "Welcome aboard, Pay the danged Fare, Find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment