Friday, January 7, 2011

Stop The Bus!

Passengers are asking me about all the RTD Drivers involved in these accidents that we've read about last year.
They're asking me about the recent plea deal for the Driver in last April's fatal accident.

I won't talk about that on the bus, sorry.
All it really does is upset and or stress me out.

Those are not RTD Drivers.
Those are contractors who driver RTD buses.

All of you who moan and complain about the horrible customer service, about the bus that arrives an hour late if it arrives at all, about the guy who had no idea about his own route let alone connecting routes to help y'all get around...
All of you who are complaining about RTD Drivers...

Stop.

Take a deep breath.

First, keep in mind that RTD only employs around 1100 Drivers.
The rest are contractors.

I'm told that it has something to do with monopoly laws or some such but RTD is not allowed to run all of the routes all of the time. So a huge chunk of the routes get contracted out to the private sector; companies like First Transit and Veolia.
These companies are for profit so they don't pay their employees very much and as we all know - you get what you pay for.
Their Drivers are always grumpy, short tempered and on their last nerves (when I talk to them)
They don't wait for RTD Drivers (me) who honk and try to catch them so Passengers can transfer.
They pass stops and Passengers right in front of RTD Driver's eyes (My own included!)

I hear from Passengers all the horror stories of these other Drivers from the private sector.

But that's not RTD.
They just drive RTD buses that they lease and maintain on their own.

The worst RTD Driver is the best Driver you'll find amoung the contractors.
That's my understanding from all the stories I hear from y'all.

I know that the Passenger doesn't give a hoot who employs the Driver, that y'all just see the bus and the uniform and that's all that maters...
But just know this:
The differences are night and day.

Many of you have expressed this to me.
You get on and tell me how refreshing I am.
How great of a Driver I am.
How friendly and on and on and on.

I assure you, I'm just average when compared to the other RTD Drivers...
Drivers who work for RTD.

If you care - how do you tell the difference?
The contractors are supposed to have letters next to their bus numbers.
I've noticed lately that the vast majority of contractor buses I've seen no longer have letters.
Like "5150X" or "2139F" or "3978L"
They are also supposed to have a sign plastered to the curb side of the buses that read that these buses are operated by such and such company, etc.
I've found these missing too.
When the letters and signs are missing, I can still tell it's a contractor because they have normal license plates.
RTD have little "gvt" next to the numbers on the plates.
The contractors do not - they are private not gov't like RTD.

When you're on the bus, if those letter are missing from the bus numbers, check the Driver.
Does he speak English?
Check his uniform, does it have the RTD patch on his arm or does it read another company?

All RTD Drivers visibly carry ID and have our RTD name tags where you can read them.

RTD Drivers care about YOU - the Passenger and customer.
RTD Drivers are leaps and bounds better than the contractors and I do my best, daily - with each and every run/trip back and forth - to prove that difference.

Keep in mind folks that this is just my personal opinion.
My feelings and thoughts.
Unsupported by RTD.

When I read and hear these complaints - it kills me.
It kills me to be lumped together with these fart knockers who are killing our good names and it kills me that they are turning off and turning away future RTD riders, daily.

I had to say something.

I am an RTD Driver (still!) and they are not.
You won't read about me in the news (Lord Willing!) unless I pull over on the road and pull some guy and his family from a burning vehicle or building and save all their lives.

Next time you hear about RTD in the news, take a second and consider whether it's actually RTD or a contractor.
There really is a difference - I know you've noticed and I'm glad when you do.

As always, "Welcome aboard, check my ID, take my name and number, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment