Friday, October 1, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset!

You know, it's been a long while since I've said this so I need to remind y'all...

As we've all noticed by now, by this the first day of October, 2010 - it's getting darker earlier and staying dark later every day.
And as many of you have probably already noticed, your Driver (or the guy filling in for your regular if you're lucky enough to have a regular Driver!) keeps passing you by in the mornings.
Well, hopefully he hasn't but I've met a few passengers who've been passed the mornings before.

How do we prevent this?

First and foremost: MOVE AROUND and stay next to the bus stop sign.
The first thing we see in the dark is movement.
Our bus headlights don't really shine further than ten feet in front of us so I'm straining to keep on time but also to see each stop so that I've got time to stop without slamming on the brakes, sending all your fellow passengers up to the front door to greet you when you come aboard!

Most of our stops are dark so I'm eyeballing the bus stop sign and looking for shadows.
When you move, blamo - you got my attention.
That's saved me and many passengers these last couple of weeks.

That and those little handy flashlights.
And if you don't have a flashlight, but you see me coming...
Break out the cell phone and pop on the light.
I've seen so many passengers do this the last week or so - it's a great idea and it's worked so far.

This last note I need to stress the most because as it gets darker, I can't see more than a few feet to either side of the stop.
Come Early.
Many of my regulars are "runners" meaning they arrive at the last second and much of the time I scan all around and catch them running down the block towards me.
I've learned to look for them running and I wait for them to arrive.

Now that it's dark, I can't see y'all running down the street and y'all know I can't hear you screaming, yelling or whistling over the heaters, the engine, the air brakes, the talking and all the rattles and creaks y'all have heard on the bus.

So come early, stay close to the bus stop sign/pole, move around when you see me and pop on the flash light or cell phone and wave it at me.

It sounds like going out of your way just to get a ride but that little extra effort gets you noticed, picked up and taken to work.
You won't be left behind and I won't get written up for missing you.
It's really a win win situation!
LOL

Enjoy Fall, folks.

And as always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment