Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Bolder Boulder 2012 & Memorial Day.

The Bolder Boulder 2012 & Memorial Day.

I commented about the Bolder Boulder a couple of years ago - the organization was some of the worst I'd ever seen.
From construction during the event that clogged the streets to traffic jams that had folks jumping off the buses far from the starting line and running to the race!

Last year they moved the Starting Line and this year the city of Boulder & RTD coordinated one of the best events yet.
My hat's off to the planners.
The traffic was nearly nonexistent.

In 2010, it took so long to get around the "loop" of the city that there were children and grandchildren being born on the buses (lol - not really, c'mon!)
This year I could loop the city in just a few minutes.
I saw danged near EVERY Driver I know working the event and I think RTD had every single bus available in Boulder.

In 2010 when I was parked (Layover) between the start and finish of the race, waiting to take folks back to their vehicles, I sat for HOURS.
This year it was a slow crawl and I ended up spending only about twenty minutes creeping my way back to the front of the line and back into circulation and back onto the loop, picking runners up and returning them to their vehicles.

The taxpayer got their money's worth as I drove for more than 8.5 of the 9 hours I was "on the clock" this year.

Runners/Passengers voiced their thrill & joy over and over all morning long when they got on the bus quickly and were whisked around the loop in almost zero traffic to the Starting Line.
And because traffic was so minimal, buses/Drivers were able to move as we know how, by leap frogging each other at stops.
One bus stops to pick runners up and the other buses leap frog around that bus to the next stop and the buses behind that one leap frog around him, etc.
The conveyor belt moves smoothly and continuously.
AND folks waiting at the stops only had to wait a minute or two for the next bus to arrive.
AND the city buses like the Skip, Bolt, etc were able to stay on schedule and pick up their passengers so that nobody got behind schedule.

I really have nothing but good things to say about this years record race.
More than 51,000 people ran this year.
At least 93% of them finished the race.
Boulder City planners and RTD coordinated and orchestrated everything perfectly.
If there were issues and problems (challenges) I didn't see them.
That's how smoothly everything went and how the folks running the show responded and corrected any issues that arose.

Thank you RTD, thank you Boulder, and thank YOU the passenger/runner for coming this year and breaking records.

Another great year, another great run and another great event.

As Always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats, 3 Cheers for Boulder - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment