Sunday, May 13, 2012

Do You Require Assistance With Your Restraints?

If you hop on the Bus with a mobility device, usually some type or variation of a wheeled chair, Drivers are required to ask if you need assistance with securing yourself - with your seat belts/restraints.

Rarely has anybody wanted my help, in my personal experience.
It's been needed enough that I'm kept in good practice with the restraint systems but not more than a once a day occurrence.

Recently I've come to learn that it's not just a job requirement but a personal & professional liability when I'm asked to restrain a passenger.

I've had more than a few passengers respond to my question with "yes please," in the past few weeks.
And more than a few of those have tried to curtail my efforts.
"You don't need the back/front/side (etc) - that one side/back/front will be plenty."
"Oh Lord, you've made that very tight, my chair can't move at all, you can loosen it up a hair?"

Oh heck no!
You've made me personally responsible (beyond the ordinary passenger's normal arrangement) for your security and safety.
You're lucky I don't break out tow ropes, wenches, welding rods, bungee cords and duct tape!

If you ask for my personal help and you slide around and injure yourself during the ride, I may not have done my job correctly or well enough.
If you ask for my help providing for your safety - be prepared for my own peace of mind that you're safe and that my job is going to be there after you leave the bus - safely...

I already take my job/responsibility as a Driver very seriously.
I am as safe as I'm able to be, careful, aware and vigilant while I'm transporting you - the passenger - to your destination.
You count on me to get you there in one piece, both safely and uneventfully.

Some of you go that extra step and ask me to provide for your safety in an unconventional seat.
So I need to take extra ordinary measures to ensure your safety.

That's a huge responsibility.
Again - don't scream when I break out the bright yellow & orange tie down straps and start strapping you in!
LOL

As Always, "Welcome aboard, Find your seats, Let me duct tape you in  - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment