Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm Hardly Working - WAIT - I'm Working Hard!

I get asked this all the time:
"Is it hard to drive the bus?"

Nope.
The buses drive better than most of our personal vehicles.
Granted they weigh up to and beyond 33 tons and take three football fields to stop.
Granted the turning radius is wider than a 747 but c'mon...

Seriously, these things handle like dreams.

The hard part isn't driving the bus.
The hard part is not driving the bus like I'm in my personal vehicle.
We have 60 people in the bus with us who expect us to drive smoothly, to take off and stop at lights smoothly.
To take turns and change lanes smoothly.
To be safe, follow the speed limits and be courteous.
Can you imagine if I took the turns at the same speeds we do in our cars?
Or if I put the pedal to the metal when the light turned green?
How about standing on the brakes at the last second when the light turns red?

I've been in them so I know y'all have too - the buses where the Driver jerks around at stops and starts.
Folks getting on the bus and the Driver takes off, lead footed as everybody flies to the back of the bus...
I've had my phone and mp3 players join other passenger's toys as they all fly outta our hands, to the floor and to the front of the bus as the Driver stomps on the brakes, ten feet from the intersection's red light.

So yeah...
The hard part is not driving the bus, it's driving the bus like a professional Driver that's difficult.

The good Drivers are the ones you really never notice.


As always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment