Saturday, August 21, 2010

OH SNAP! Tell Me You Didn't Really Say That?

Yeah, I put my best foot forward and stuck it in my mouth.

Let me set this up:
It's the middle of the afternoon - got to mid 90°s here in Denver.
An extremely stunning mom and her daughter are waiting at the next stop.
It's the tail end of summer here so you can tell they've enjoyed the sun.
Bronzed & fit, outfitted with Lady GaGa Bug Eyed sunglasses.
The apple didn't fall far from the tree with this mother and daughter combo.
Ok, got the picture?

So Mom gets on the bus with cash in her hand and daughter at her side waiting.
Mom asks me, "How much is the fare?"
I think I may have even stuttered my response,
"Two dollars for you and since your daughter is a student she's half with her ID."
I was proud of myself, I'd answered her question and made her day by giving her a good deal!

Time stopped.
I heard the sweat drip of a fly on the windshield.
Somewhere in the distance I heard plates shatter on a floor.
All the air went outta the bus as all the passengers gasped and held their breath.

Mom & daughter, in unison - gave me the crustiest looks and in stereo said:
"She's not my daughter." "She's not my mother."
And both showed me their college student IDs!
All I could do was sputter that those IDs covered their fares.

They went to opposite sides of the bus, not even friends let alone related.
Both had lifted their sunglasses onto their heads and proceeded to glare at me through the mirror for the rest of their rides.

That was the absolute quietest any of my routes has EVER been.

Yeah, I had a great day!
How about you?

As always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment