Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Oh Sugar - Honey Honey....

I forgot to tell you what happened to me last week.

First, let me fill in the process and story.

After the bus gets to the end of each route, each direction, Drivers walk the bus and check for anything left behind by Passengers.
When we find something, we take it back to the Garage and fill out a little form, the item gets tagged and sent to the Lost and Found, at the Civic Centre Station.

Passengers call the following Business Day and claim their belongings.

We are required to go through whatever is left behind.
We have to count cash, we have to discard perishables.
Food, drink, cigarettes, etc all get tossed - our Supervisors tell us that they can't take it.

Ok, so that said - last week I find a huge box left in the back of the bus.
It's super light so I'm not thinking it's a bomb and it doesn't rattle.
The box had scooted under the seats in front of the back seats so I can understand how they missed it.

And I'm pretty sure I know the Ladies (and their daughters) who left it behind.
But of course I didn't find it until the end of the run.
As soon as I opened the box, I KNEW who owned it.
Well, who lost it.

It was a box of cookies.
The good kind too.
And not just a single, what 8oz? box, but a box full of boxes, like a case of cookies.

I didn't know (remember) what stop the Ladies had gotten off at and I couldn't drive back.
The next two trips back and forth I looked high and low to see if the Ladies had come back to find me and their box.

So I took it back to the Division (Garage) and tried to turn it in.
You can see where this is going...
It's "Perishable" and I was told to toss it.
Don't eat it, don't take it home, toss it.

I'd considered taking it with me for a couple of days until the Ladies came back on.
But I think my supervisors either knew what I was thinking or they thought I was going to try to sneak it home to eat em.
Either way, they kept their eyes on me as I left.
For all I know, they went and got the box after I left!

They had a good point:
I didn't know these passengers from Jack.
The "cookies" could have been laced or something.
Or the Passengers could have come back for their cookies and charged me for the eaten cookies, etc.

Either way, following their instructions was the wise thing but I wanted to give them back.

So if you lost your cookies (yes, I realize how funny that sounds!) on the bus, I did find them and did try to turn them into Lost & Found.
I'm sorry but they won't take perishables.

The Moral of this Story, my friends?
Don't leave stuff on the bus.
And I realize there will be accidents.
So when you do forget something on the bus, call the number (303-299-6000).
I (we) turn your stuff in as soon as our runs are over and the next business day, you can pick them up at the Civic Centre Station.

As always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats (& check em before you leave) - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment