Friday, July 16, 2010

Is That Gonna Fit?

I don't know if many of y'all have noticed but these buses are pretty big!

I don't just mean they are long, heavy or tall.
I mean these things are so wide that they almost reach the white lines on both sides of the lane.

Normally that shouldn't matter to traffic around the bus because cars, trucks and everything in between are pretty small by comparisson so y'all fit smoothly into your own lanes.
And the bus fits within its lane.

But you have to have a pretty big set of brass ones to be that bicyclist who wants to ride between the bus and the curb, traffic or parked cars just to pass me for a block as I stop to pick up another passenger. And speaking of parked cars, who is really that brave to park their cars on Lincoln downtown?
Seriously, if you're parking your pickup, large suv or car on Lincoln, Broadway or any number of those streets downtown which have that huge solid white HOV lane line...
At least hug the curb. And for God's sake, please don't open your door before you've looked behind you?
Nothing frightens me more than during downtown traffic, trying to squeeze between that white line and a parked car that sticks out while noticing your foot on the brake and wondering if you're about to pop out of your vehicle. I see those doors open at the last second and my only choices are to take that door off or to take out the cars in traffic next to me. Normally I'd just pop off your door but odds are you're still attached to it so that's not a real option either.

I roll downtown and see those lines of cars with the yellow envelopes sticking out of the doors and know the police have ticketed y'all, and that's a small price to pay to learn not to park there during rush hours.
But c'mon, I don't need the challenge of not taking off your mirrors, of not taking off your doors, of not crossing over the white line into traffic and/or of not making the 5 O'Clock news.

That bus is WIDE and it barely fits into a normal and clear lane.
You just know that trying to fit it into a lane packed with bicycles, parked cars and traffic is just that much closer to geting another 15 minnutes of fame on the News - fame I don't want.

What's that motto, "Share the Road?"
Yeah, share the road folks and remember your friendly neighborhood bus Driver.

As always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment