Thursday, July 22, 2010

Patience Is A Virtue?

I've said again and again that I run as close to being on time as I can.
I'm pretty sure every Driver does, right?
Although we all have our different styles of keeping time.
Me, I will crawl from one stop to the next.
For example, if the schedule reads that I'll be at Alameda & Kipling at 6:54am then the next time is Civic Center Station at 7:09 - I can't leave from Kipling & Alameda before 6:54.
But I can arrive at CCS BEFORE 7:09, I just can't leave before 7:09.
So I'll crawl between the two stops to make certain that I hit both timed stops on the nose and use the "extra" time in between to allow passengers to get to their stops so nobody gets missed.
Some Drivers fly to each stop then sit and burn that extra time, then fly to the next stop.
I can understand that style but to me, there are a bazillion passengers who just missed the bus as it flew past them on its way to the next timed stop in the schedule.

I wonder if that all just made sense to anybody?

The point of all this is that I have to take the bus (and light rail) too, several times a week.
So when Drivers don't make their stops on time, I feel the same frustrations as every other Passenger.

RTD leaves me all alone out at the far reaches of the city and let's me fend for myself to get back to the garage so I can get my vehicle and go home after work.
So I usually have to take two trains and a bus back to the garage.
The light rail folks tend to take their time and rarely hit their times right.
So I'm almost always missing the last bus back to the garage.
That means I'm waiting around in the hot sun, or the pouring rain for up to 30 minutes every afternoon.
Making a simple trip home take up to two hours a day.

All because one Driver was just a couple of minutes late to a transfer point for me.

So because I have to deal with this daily, I do my best to make sure none of my passengers have to deal with it. Not that I wouldn't do my best to be on time either way but personal experience makes it even more important to me.

I know that patience is a virtue and that I hear the senior Drivers preaching that passengers should take earlier buses if time is so important to them.
But to me, time is as important as it is to YOU, the Passenger.

The only patience I ask is not the wait at the stops for me, but the wait in between the stops as I crawl from one to the next, making sure EVERYBODY catches the bus and makes it to their transfers on time.

As always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment