Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ewwww, That Smell...

Hello Folks!

I got an email asking me for "stories"; happenings on the Bus that I've experienced so far.
I've had a few "events" in my few short months but she asked for something out of the ordinary.
I can relate at least one for y'all.

(P.S. thanks for the email, Ma'am.)

So I'm really close to being new to RTD, still getting used to the city, the traffic and the flow of people in and out during rush hours.
The new folks always get the 9000's - those are the super long "accordian" buses y'all see cruising around.
I love em, they handle like a dream and they are super easy to drive.
So picture me, first quarter of 2010, in my big old 9000 with a bus FULL - I mean standing room only - full of people coming INTO town.
It's a Friday evening, rush hour, people are trying to get home and folks are also coming INTO town to celebrate the shut out at the Rockies Home Opener.
The city is a parking lot - I'm parked in traffic on Park Avenue (go figure, right?) and I can see 7 buses in traffic ahead of me.
We've been in traffic close to an hour, on Park Ave. and folks are starting - just starting - to get restless.
But everybody can see we're not moving quickly and as we get closer, more folks try to cram onto the bus from various and sundry places on the street and sidewalks - not a bus stop in sight!

Out of nowhere, a Lady sneaks up behind me and whispers in my ear,
"A man just urinated in the back of the bus.."
Like it happens every day - ha.

I look in my mirror and can see the guy in the corner on the back, still doing his thing and a circle of passengers backing away from him.
I hit the button on our radio to request a call from HeadQuarters for advice and help.
Then I "park" the bus in place and stand up to ask how I can help.
The gentleman, deep in the "party zone" must be very numb and comfortable because he sits right back down in the seat he just soaked and hollers back up to the front at me, "Nope, I'm good, thank you."

It got really quiet on the bus.
I'm not a small guy, I know I can put the fear of God in a man's eye just by walking up to him.
And I also know I can pick this guy up and toss him off the bus.
I can tell that was what the rest of the bus thought I was about to do.
But in my line of work (The Bus Driver) it's not my job to enforce any laws, rules or order.
I'm just the driver, we have rules that instruct me to call somebody who can pick him up and give him the ol' heave ho for us.

I had already hit that button requesting help so I moved to the next step - taking care of the rest of the passengers.
I opened all the doors (we were at the curb already) and I asked if anybody would like fresh air, and held up some tranfers in case anybody felt they needed an alternate bus.
But I was looking the relieved gentleman in the eye when I'd asked this and he understood my question and took a transfer and decided the fresh air would do him some good.
Nobody else left, all the windows started flying open and somehow, there became enough room on the bus to allow for a two seat "cushion" between them and the aromic occurence.

When we'd finally gotten into town and folks started filing off the bus, I got a ton of "thank yous"s and "nice job"s - but I really don't know what I'd done.
o_O

Later that evening, about two hours after the fact I parked the bus in the garage.
Headquarters still had not responded to the request for help; the button push.
I wrote it up but because dispatch wasn't involved, the manager on duty crumpled up the report and suggested I forget about the whole ordeal.

LOL - fine with me.
That was my introduction to the Rockies and their enthusiastic fans.

Needless to say (but I'm going to anyway) I won't be volunteering for any Rockies Rides this year.
I think I've gotten my fair share of "The Experience" when it comes to home games in Denver.

Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment