Saturday, June 5, 2010

Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard, Folks.
I'm a new driver.
I was only just struck yesterday with the idea to start keeping this log book.
I should have started the day I started.
I've only been a driver for a couple of months so I'm still fresh and new.
I still see the job as fun, exciting and each day, each route as an adventure.

Yesterday was my first "Hot" day on the job.
Temps here in Denver were over 90° so it got HOT.
As the saying goes, "At least it's a dry heat" but I've never understood that cuz it's still hot!
As the temps get warmer, HQ starts sending out radio alerts telling us drivers how to keep the vehicle cool.
With instructions about turning off the AC, turning off the retarder (engine brakes), idling at 1/3 higher for 3 minutes to kick in the fans to cool down the vehicle, etc etc etc.
So yesterday I had to run with no AC, windows open (which just blows hot air around!) and retarder off - which makes braking a 33 ton vehicle really fun.
Having no AC makes for a stinky and sticky drive but it's only 5 or 6 hours behind the wheel.
Not many if any bathrooms or breaks along the route so no way I'm drinking while on the road or I'll have to stop every few minutes.
Nice thing about not drinking on the job is that you tend to stop sweating.

One last note on this, my first entry into my Driver's Log Book:
If you're a passenger, please don't write in to compliment your driver.
I know that sounds backwards and really, we do appreciate the kind words but...
This is a "Union" job, which means the slackers are treated the same as the over achievers.
The slackers can have poor attendance, can have a really bad "record" and still get the same raises as somebody who's worked hard, has a perfect record, has commendations from passengers, who is an overall model employee.
But the slacker sees the driver who takes care of his passengers as a threat; sees him as somebody who makes the slacker look bad.
I was in the Driver's room (a place where we get our assignments, where we relax before and after runs, etc) while I was punching my transfers and I overheard two senior drivers talking and one gal said the other:
"I can't believe I got written up for that again."
"Didn't you just get a commendation?"
(Commendations are compliments from passengers - our names are publicly posted by mgmt when we get those letters from y'all)
"Yeah but it seems like every time I get a commendation, the next day I'm getting written up for something else."
"So call in and complain about him and get him written up to."
"I've did that last time but I think somebody else is doing that to me now."

So as a new guy, I'm scared to death of getting that target posted on my back.
Of catching the attention of other union employees, having them sabotage my job.

Ugh, I'm sure you'll hear all the things I've heard in that driver's room.
I'm scared enough just listening to the comments in there.
I'm sure it's not the rule but I rarely hear nice things, polite things, uplifting stories, etc.
I tend to not want to get anybody's attention: out of sight out of mind, right?

Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment