Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rolling Down The Highway - Heavy Metal Thunder...

Yeah, I butchered those lyrics...

I know I'm still a new Driver and will be by every measure for a long time to come.

But I want to believe that I will always love my job and will always be happy at work.

I get those comments all the time:

"I'm really glad that you love your job, we can all tell."
"You're always smiling and happy, it's nice to start my day that way."
"You're the most pleasant Driver I've met."

Don't get the wrong impression, I'm not in it for the praise but thank you anyway.
The praise is a by product of doing the job YOU, the passenger expect of me.

I want every Driver to be worthy of that priase from y'all.
Take a moment and thank your Driver or better yet, offer help.

"Driver [Insert name here!] I love that you are always on time, could I ask you to hang on just a second while I find my seat before you pull out?"
That's training right there.
Your Driver will make a mental note of that and begin to apply that every time you board the bus.

We have a joke amoung Drivers:
Normal folks have GPS to guide them, we have PGS to guide us:
Passenger Guidance Systems.

I've had passengers offer to help me with directions on new routes.
Don't be afraid to "back seat driver" because that's helpful to us.
We can usually pick up a new route in a day or two but the help is appreciated.
Seriously appreciated.
I'd rather be corrected, "No, don't turn here, it's the next street...Where are you going? Turn left HERE!"
I'd rather be corrected BEFORE I make the mistake and get y'all to your destinations on time.

Your Driver sits behind the wheel of 33 tons of heavy metal thunder, stressing the traffic, stops and directions.
If he has the good sense to remember that all his efforts are for you, the passenger and he can still do it all with a smile on his face, a thank you and good morning on his lips...
Return the favour - you'll make his day as much as he made yours.

And as always, "Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment