Saturday, June 19, 2010

It's Not You, It's Me!

I've said before that I keep an eye out for "regulars"

A regular is a passenger who is at the same stop, the same time every day or every week.
Somebody I count on and who counts on me.

If I arrive at a regular's stop and there is no regular...
I'll hang around for a few extra seconds.
I'll make sure I twist this way and that in my seat to check all around to see if the regular is running late and running for the bus.
My fear each time I drive away without a regular is that the regular is a hair late, saw me stop and is running for the bus.
Only to have me pull away at the last minute just as the regular shows up, out of breath but having just enough breath to swear!
LOL

Seriously, I count on the regulars.
I even ask questions each morning; questions aside from how are you.
I ask how far you're going to get to know your stops.
If I only see you two days a week I'll ask about the other days.
I ask about work, trips, vacations, family, etc.

That way when you're not at a stop I don't wait too long, making the other regulars late.
Then I know you're on vacation, or have the day off.

Thankfully I'm a Driver or y'all would think I'm some creepy stalker!

But I see it as a benefit to all my passengers.
I know when and where to wait for you, making sure you get to work or get home on time.
And for each one of YOU there are 100 more "yous" on the bus with you for whom I extend the same love & courtesy.

As you can see, I'm not just a driver but a customer service hero.
I take pride in and personal responsibility for my passengers and my job.

I get invested and I produce results in a business that would otherwise just be a cold bus ride.

All that said, I have been missing a regular the last two weeks.
One day, I fear I've missed you.
Two days I start to hope you didn't get fired.
Three days I start to assume you're on vacation.
A week, I wish you well and welcome you back when I see you on Monday.

Two weeks and I assume you've moved, gotten fired or bought a car!
LOL

But on Monday of the third week I was heading in one direction to the station where I turn around and come back in the other direction.
I saw the bus ahead of me in the rotation pick up my missing regular.

I felt like I'd lost a loved one.
My regular had been cheating on me with another Driver!

I hear the more senior Drivers, like a religious mantra chant, "If you're late you should have taken an earlier bus!"
It has a little merit but it's cold, unfriendly, lacks compassion and is total BS but we can get to that later.
Point is, my regular had found the earlier stop and was getting to work on time.

Good for the regular.
But I still felt a tiny stab in the back!

LOL - I'm kidding y'all.
Ok, maybe I'm just a little serious.
:D

Welcome aboard, find your seats - Let's Roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment